Eleanor Spektor McManus, Co-Founder and Partner
Eleanor is a former award-winning journalist and was recently named one of the “Best Public-Relations People in the Tech Industry”. by Business Insider.
She provides clients with strategic counsel for internal and external communications, crisis management, media relations, branding, reputation management, issue mitigation, and litigation communications. Working in coordination with top litigators and attorneys, she develops communication strategies to navigate litigation and legal issues. She has also worked with a number of companies developing communications strategies surrounding large government settlements.
Eleanor also works with emerging and high-growth tech companies, investors and entrepreneurs to develop their brand from executive positioning and thought leadership to market positioning, product launches, financing rounds, and public affairs campaigns.
She has counseled a variety of clients from startups to unicorns, private equity firms, national restaurant chains, national hotel chains, biotech companies, pro-athletes and elected officials.
Eleanor has a proven track record of defining and driving communications and media strategy, securing media stories in print, radio and broadcast outlets including The Washington Post, New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Politico, The Hill, ABC News, CBS News, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, CNBC, NBC News, Bloomberg BusinessWeek, Wired, Tech Crunch, ReCode, and Vanity Fair.
She is also a sought-after media trainer for high-level executives; preparing CEOs and other corporate leadership for public appearances, speeches, and broadcast interviews.
Previously, Eleanor was a senior vice president at LEVICK, a communications firm in Washington, D.C., where she crafted strategic communications campaigns focusing on media relations and crisis communications. Eleanor came to LEVICK through the acquisition of the bipartisan public affairs firm Purple Nation Solutions, which she co-founded with former White House special counsel Lanny Davis and former Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele.
Eleanor began her career at CNN as a journalist. With over a decade of experience as senior producer of CNN’s highest rated program Larry King Live, Eleanor was responsible for planning, booking and producing exclusive interviews with iconic newsmakers and well-known political figures including Presidents Obama, Clinton, and Ford, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, every Presidential candidate in both 2004 and 2008, foreign leaders including Russian Presidents Mikhail Gorbachev, Vladimir Putin, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and Queens Noor and Rania of Jordan.
At CNN, Eleanor worked on a number of historical events including the September 11th attacks, Hurricane Katrina, the passing of Presidents Ford and Reagan, the inauguration of President Barack Obama, and the devastating earthquake in Haiti.
Eleanor is a recipient of an Emmy as well as an Edward R. Murrow award for September 11th coverage, a 2005 DuPont award for coverage of the tsunami disaster in South Asia, a 2005 and 2008 Peabody award for coverage of Hurricane Katrina and outstanding political coverage of a U.S. Presidential campaign, and a 2010 Peabody award for coverage of the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
Eleanor is fluent in Russian and Spanish.
She graduated from Brandeis University with a BA in economics and sociology and received a MA in journalism and public affairs from American University.
Eleanor is a founder of Press Forward, an independent and nonpartisan effort that aims to create a safe work environment and elevate the stature of women in workplace, beginning in the newsroom.
Eleanor can be found on Twitter at @eleanorsmcmanus
Select Print Clips:
- Media women launch Press Forward to fight against sexual harassment in the newsroom
- Thumbs up? 13 crisis communicators on Mark Zuckerberg’s apology tour, PRWeek
- 12 questions for Eleanor McManus on eliminating sexual harassment in media, PRWeek
- APNewsBreak: Accusers take on toxic culture in TV newsrooms, ABC News
- ‘United together’: Mark Halperin, Charlie Rose accusers form advocacy group, CNN
- Silence Breakers on Megyn Kelly TODAY: ‘We’re finding our voices’, Megyn Kelly TODAY
- After Harassment Allegations, Justin Caldbeck Attempts a Comeback. Critics Want Him to Stay Gone, Bloomberg Technology
- Mark Halperin accuser Eleanor McManus speaks out about alleged sexual harassment, Megyn Kelly TODAY
- Why I’m speaking up about Mark Halperin, and why I stayed silent so long, CNN
- TV News’ Dirty Little Secret: A Defense of Megyn Kelly, Forbes
- Eleanor McManus named one of the 51 best public-relations people in the tech industry in 2017, Business Insider
Select Broadcast Clips: