Lanny J. Davis, Co-Founder and Partner
Lanny is a lawyer, crisis manager, consultant, author, and television commentator providing strategic counsel to clients under scrutiny on crisis management and legal issues by combining legal, media and political strategies. He develops and manages communications programs around litigation and crises to protect brand reputations. He is often called to serve as on camera spokesperson on behalf of an individual or corporation.
Lanny represents individuals, countries, and companies in high stakes global crises, litigation, government investigations and crisis management. He has conceived, created and led media strategies for clients that have included CEOs, sports celebrities, political leaders, world leaders, and both U.S. and international companies. He has handled the cases of public figures from Martha Stewart to Dan Snyder, companies from Whole Foods to Starbucks, and political figures from President Bill Clinton to Representative Charlie Rangel.
Although a Democrat, Lanny has friends on both sides of the aisle. During the Clinton administration, Lanny served as special counsel to President Bill Clinton and was a spokesperson for the president and the White House on matters concerning campaign finance investigations and other legal issues. In 2005 President George W. Bush appointed Lanny to serve on the five-member Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board, created by the U.S. Congress as part of the 2005 Intelligence Reform Act.
For 25 years prior to 1996, before his tenure as special counsel to President Clinton, Lanny was a commercial, antitrust, government contracts, and False Claims Act litigator (representing both defendants and plaintiffs). He has also argued numerous appellate cases and has experience in securities fraud and SEC investigations, and congressional, state attorney general and regulatory investigations. Throughout his career, he has found that using integrated legal/media/lobbying approaches can frequently lead to quicker and less expensive settlements or even successfully litigated outcomes. Senior officials of public companies have also hired Lanny and his colleagues to defend themselves successfully against “short and distort” attacks and other market manipulations.
Lanny has participated in national, state and local politics for almost 30 years. He has served three terms (1980 to 1992) on the Democratic National Committee representing the state of Maryland, and during that period he served on the DNC Executive Committee and as chairman of the Eastern Region Caucus. In Montgomery County, Maryland, he served as chairman of the Washington Suburban Transit Commission.
Lanny has lectured throughout the U.S. and Europe on various political issues and has authored several books, including “Scandal: How “Gotcha” Politics Is Destroying America” and “Truth To Tell: Tell It Early, Tell It All, Tell It Yourself: Notes from My White House Education.” His latest book, “Crisis Tales – Five Rules for Handling Scandal in Business, Politics and Life,” was published by Simon & Schuster in 2013.
Lanny graduated from Yale Law School, where he won the prestigious Thurman Arnold Moot Court prize and served on the Yale Law Journal. A graduate of Yale College, he served as chairman of theYale Daily News. Lanny is admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and Connecticut and before the Supreme Court of the United States and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
He has been a regular television commentator and has been a political and legal analyst for MSNBC, CNN, CNBC and network TV news programs and has published numerous opinion and analysis pieces in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post and other national publications. His “Purple Nation” column appears regularly in The Hill, The Huffington Post, FoxNews.com, The Daily Caller, and Newsmax. He can be followed on Twitter @LannyDavis.
Lanny Davis currently serves as a Co-Founder and Partner of Trident DMG. Read more about Trident DMG here: Lanny Davis exits Levick to Launch Trident DMG,Clinton ally Lanny Davis starting new DC firms, and Lanny Davis relaunches firm.
“Lanny Davis has a unique combination of extensive experience as a first-rate practicing attorney and expertise in dealing with the media, political leaders and the legislative process. That’s much needed in the age of the internet and get it first before getting it right journalism.”
– President Bill Clinton, The Hill.com Briefing Room, April 19, 2010
“Lanny Davis is one of the most resourceful, creative and tenacious problem-solvers I have ever had the privilege of knowing. And, his range of contacts is extraordinarily and seemingly limitless–at all points on the political spectrum. A remarkable talent.”
-Theodore Olson, former Solicitor General of the United States , Under President George W. Bush, April 19, 2010
“Lanny Davis has shown he understands the dangers from the left and right of the politics of personal destruction.”
-Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT)
“Davis is that rare insider who is capable of being fair to all sides. He is willing to cast blame on his own party, his own candidates and even his own self, along with those on the other side who deserve blame. This perceptive look into the Washington world of equal opportunity scandal mongering must be read by Democrats and Republicans alike–and by all fair minded people who want to end the politics of mutually assured destruction.”
-Professor Alan M. Dershowitz, Harvard Law School
The Lanny Davis Model:
- Ty Cobb, Donald Trump’s newest Russia lawyer, adds legal muscle as investigations widen, USA Today
- Are media dragging out Russia story, or is it the slow pace of disclosure?, Fox News
- Free advice to Trump from Clinton’s lawyer: Get it all out now, The Hill
- Trump Aides Hire Lawyers for Probe Into Russian Election Hacking, Wall Street Journal
- Meet Trump’s TV lawyer, Axios
- Crisis mismanagement: United, Spicer, O’Reilly, CNN
Select Media Clips:
- Trump’s Legal Team Is No Match for Mueller’s, Bloomberg Businessweek
- Trump Drops His Fight with Mueller to Win the War, Vanity Fair
- Analysis: Slow leak of Russia news flooding White House, Associated Press
- This was supposed to be Don Jr.’s time as a real estate macher. Then came the emails, The Real Deal
- Exactly How Screwed is Donald Trump Jr.?, Vanity Fair
- Attack, Attack, Attack, New Yorker Magazine
- Crisis of the Week: Fujifilm Addresses Accounting Problems, Wall Street Journal
- Pence retains outside counsel as Russia probes deepen, Politico
- Top Defense Attorneys Offer Trump Some Free Legal Advice, Vanity Fair
- White House lawyers face a Clinton-era legal trap in Russia probe, Politico
- Talking Politics with Lanny Davis, The Brian Oxman Show
- Apologies. Really. And I Will Definitely Grow Up., New York Times
- Crisis of the Week: Areva SA’s Falsified Records Problem, Wall Street Journal
Select Media Profiles:
- Lanny Davis Recalls What It’s Like to Defend a President Under Siege, The Daily Beast
- Lanny Davis: The skipper for big names in dire straits, Washington Post
- Lanny J. Davis, Crisis Consultant to the Stars, New York Times
- 6 life lessons from the man paid to do damage control for the stars, The Globe and Mail